Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Something New

I called D today to check on her before she was discharged from the hospital. It was like all our other conversations. We start out talking about something like the baby and we end up ragging on housework or something totally unrelated. We can talk for hours about absolutely nothing, but it feels good because we blow steam and we actually communicate back and forth.

Our friendship is fun and always something new arises between us. Whether I learn something about her or she learns something about me, it always seems fresh. Those are the type of friendships I treasure. I have a few friends that I learn something new about and it keeps things lively. The ones that I know everything about are the ones that grow stale.

Today while I talked to her I could hear the calmness in her voice. She just had her third baby and she seemed completely and utterly at home in her situation. I asked my series of questions following childbirth like -Is she nursing well? -Who does she look like? With each answer she sounded confident and assured of herself. This is her third baby. She's been there and done that and she just makes it seem so careless. I admire her for that. I strive to be that type of mother. Kicked back, yet knowledgable and concerned for my children.

I could hear Maya in the background as we chatted. I could picture D in the hospital room as she was getting things ready to go home. I could picture the newness and the freshness of her situation. I could smell the baby scent through the phone. I am so happy for her and her family. Something new for her family. Someone new to love. Life is just a complete miracle and blessing! I never take a day for granted and I relish in the small things. We only get one shot. I'm enjoying all the something news and dreaming of the something news to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something about #3 ... everything clicks into place. It has been like that with my Juliet... from day one.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm blushing and I think the sweetness of this post made my milk come in. LOL Dang, I don't know what to say.