Friday, August 03, 2007

Memorial Service for Nancy

We have a memorial service to attend for the grandmother of our neice Shelby today. She had cancer and passed away on Tuesday morning. The family was by her side when she passed, even Shelby. Shelby is 14 years going on 35. She's very mature for her age. I still worry about her witnessing death for the first time at the tender age of 14. She described the death in detail to her other grandmother (my husband's mom). I truly feel for her.

Shelby and Nancy were very close. Shelby has spent her summer spending the night at Nancy and her Grandpa's house to be with her grandmother in her last days. Nancy, at the end, didn't even know who people were anymore, except Shelby and her husband. Shelby found comfort in that and bragged about it on more than one occasion. Who wouldn't? She was proud of her grandmother and loved her dearly. You could feel the love just in her stories of her and her memories.

I'm praying that the family finds peace in their loss somehow. It is never easy to lose a loved one even if they knew that she was going to lose her battle one day. I'm with heavy heart today.

2 comments:

Jess T said...

That is so sad. I'm so sorry. I feel like I have friends losing loved ones all around me.

Rach said...

Oh, my, prayers for the family. Hopefully, Shelby's grandma's passing was peaceful and will leave a non-scarring impression of death. Does that make sense?