Saturday, September 06, 2008

Weekend Funnies


This is the one I meant to put up on my blog this morning. See above.



And, this one I posted thinking I was posting the "Change" funny. I got a comment from reader Anissa asking if it's a tad "racist". Is it really a racist "funny"? I didn't think so. Being a blog, let's have a discussion on why exactly this is racist? I see African Americans in the picture, but I just thought the "really, really creepy" came in because of the Obama posters and all the mania going on in the picture. Never did the the color of the people's skin in the picture register with me nor did I even particularly notice. Call me naive or sheltered, but that's my view on it. I don't see people differently based on their skin, so why would this register as "racist" to me?


And, if you've ever seen Chris Hanson on Dateline NBC then you totally get this one... right?

6 comments:

Anissa said...

It appeared that way to me because you see two African Americans emphatically showing support for Obama and refers to those men as creepy. It suggests riots and pulls at the fear ingrained in most of the conservative white community. Further suggesting that what is creepy is what these two people may do because they are charged with the enthusiasm of a black candidate and what may happen if he is elected. There are so many things you could read from this picture. (like they say, a thousand words) The poster of Obama was actually the last thing I noticed.

Lisa Mullen said...

I guess, I just don't really get why they put creepy? Do you understand the humor?

Jo Jo said...

Yikes. Politics and religion - never a good thing to blog about unless you want to get a bunch of comments you won't like.

For the record, I don't think #2 is racist, but it isn't really funny either (I don't get it). The first one would be funny to a republican.

Lisa said...

I take it to mean the whole mania around Obama is creepy. The notion that he can practically walk on water is creepy. Obama Mania is really, really creepy. (And terrifying - frankly)

tiburon said...

Oh those KILL ME!!!!

Jen said...

Speaking of Obama mania, what about the current palin mania? I think people have forgotten who is running for the presidency. The notion that she can save the country is a little creepy to some of us also!!