Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year: A birth and a death.

Yesterday I received a phone call from one of my best friends. She was admitted at 8:30am to give birth and was holding her new baby boy by 10:45am. She was so proud of him. I could feel her smile through the phone. We talked about the new baby boy and her birth experience. I felt a huge feeling of happiness in my heart for her and her family. Jacob is friends with her daughter. We met through Gymboree when they were five months old. She babysat Jacob for me while I underwent IUIs to conceive our second son. Always there as a true friend. She is a wonderful mother and friend. Love her, Love her, Love her. To death!

I couldn't help but feel joy that the New Year on it's third day brought a new life into this world. Her news made my day seem so full and complete.

Last night, after a long day of running around shopping at Target and Walmart with my Mom I received another phone call. This time from from my Grandmother regarding an ex coworker that was like a second Mom to me. We worked at the dentist office together in the front office. Her husband had passed away and my grandmother thought I should know. I felt devastated. Paul was young, 64. He had not been sick, that I know of. Life just seemed to stand still as I envisioned Joyce all alone after 42 years of marriage. I felt a huge amount of guilt for not going to see him (and her) more when I was in town visiting my parents. He had never met Joshua. I couldn't help, but mourn and reflect on him (and her).

The New Year, not only brought life, but it brought death. Sometimes life can seem cruel. Sometime it seems unfair. It is all a cycle, this life we live.

It is so true: Life is short!

My answer: Enjoy it while you are here. Revel in the small things. Enjoy the big things when they happen. Play hard. Never miss a moment of it. Be kind to others. Don't take a thing for granted. Love your family and friends like it's your last day on earth. Say "I love you" a lot! Hugs are great. Kisses even better. Just be grateful. Mostly importantly, Be Happy!

No comments: